Friday, September 27, 2013

Wired and transmitting

The heart monitor I’ve been wearing since September 16  apparently transmitted something I was ignoring, the doctor was contacted by the company, and then I was called about 7 p.m. Wednesday evening and told to go to the ER. Isn't technology amazing--all sorts of things going on behind our backs we don't know about!

I'm home now--released from the hospital late yesterday afternoon. When the cardiologist walked in with the flock of young docs in training, I'd already heard the discussion held outside my room. I don't know how often Huffington Post is listed in the record as a possible cause of heart problems, but it's in mine. Because of the medical school down the road at OSU, you see a lot of doctors coming through the ranks. They all seemed to know what Facebook and blogging are.

I met the most interesting people--asked most of the staff who had the time how long they'd been working at Riverside, career goals, etc. The woman cleaning my room turned out to be a former neighbor in the 1970s when we lived on Abington Rd. One guy had changed careers from real estate after the 2008 downturn; he began in a very low level job (which he hated) and kept applying within as jobs opened up. The echocardiogram guy had relocated from Cleveland where there were many med tech schools but no jobs, and we had a good laugh about Columbus residents and the first snow flake to fly.

One lady doctor looked to me to be 15, so I just had to ask--she was 28. One lady intern had the most fabulous bedside manner and special touch, that I hope she's around the next time I need her.  And I got to give my name and birthdate at least 30 times. 

The food was excellent—fresh and tasted “homemade”--and you could order any time.  All the staff seemed to have special training in being friendly.  When I raised the blind, I looked down on the new addition to the hospital.  It is always expanding.

“Atrial fibrillation is an irregular and often rapid heart rate that commonly causes poor blood flow to the body. During atrial fibrillation, the heart's two upper chambers (the atria) beat chaotically and irregularly — out of coordination with the two lower chambers (the ventricles) of the heart. Atrial fibrillation symptoms include heart palpitations, shortness of breath and weakness. “ http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/atrial-fibrillation/DS00291

No comments: