Wednesday, June 21, 2017

We're here on the longest day of the year

This is June 22 sunrise
We got back from Scotland a week-ago, and since we had some obligations in Columbus yesterday,  rather than drive 2.5 hours up on Saturday then 2.5 hours back on Monday, we decided to wait.  Now it is the longest day of the year, so I started my walk about 5:35 a.m.  I walked east on Third (our street) all the way to Poplar Ave. the last north south street inside the gates, then walked north to the lakefront. The sky was a brilliant pink at 6:50 with the sun still hidden, so I paused and watched, maybe 7 minutes.  Then I noticed a piece of sculpture on a rock, so I walked through the grass to get a better look.  It was lovely--realistic, but with movement and grace. I looked at the memorial plaque . . . it was for Katherine Alice Bichsel. Many appropriate flowers and season long plantings surrounded the rock and sculpture.  It was a lovely, peaceful and spiritual moment. I prayed.

The sun popped up very quickly and then went behind a few clouds and I continued on my way, greeting the dog walkers who are always out that time of day.  I decided to look up Ms. Bichsel, assuming I would find a long and useful life with many great grandchildren remembering her fondly.  Years ago I blogged about some of the memorials, taking a notebook with me to jot down the names. It's not easy for me to remember names, numbers or events, so I continued saying her name for the next mile I walked until I got to our cottage, poured myself a cup of coffee, and opened the computer. Not what I had imagined. I did find two Katherine Bichsels who matched my idea, but that was not to be.  This young Lakesider was only 20.
"BICHSEL Katherine Alice "Katie" Bichsel, age 20, of Bexley, died suddenly and unexpectedly Friday, November 7, 2008 in Burlington, Vermont. Katie was born in Cincinnati, OH on July 8, 1988 the oldest daughter of Vivian (Duff) and David Garver Bichsel. Katie graduated summa cum laude from Bexley High School in 2006. She attended the University of Vermont, majoring in Environmental Sciences. Her passions were many and included snowboarding, hiking, WWII history, music, protecting the planet and above all "hanging out" with her many friends. Katie is survived by her parents, Dr. David and Vivian Bichsel; her sisters, Sarah Bichsel and Emily Bichsel; her grandparents, Flora Duff, and The Rev. Dr. Dale and Josephine Bichsel; and a large loving extended family." - See more at: http://www.legacy.com/obituaries/dispatch/obituary.aspx?pid=120045747#sthash.YSvWURAq.dpuf
Her parents are cottage owners here at Lakeside according to our directory, and I know from my own experience they will always miss their child and grieve for what might have been, but I appreciate their sharing her with us in such a beautiful way.



1 comment:

Joyce said...

Thank you for posting this, Katie was indeed a dear soul and her family misses her every day. Her mom and dad and sisters will be glad to see you visited her memorial <3