Thursday, January 27, 2022

Google owns us

Thirty-five years ago, I was librarian of the Veterinary Medicine Library at Ohio State. A great job. By 1991-92 we were just learning about a strange thing called the WWW. Went to workshops where it was demonstrated, learned to write html and I began showing my students. I still remember the day in the late 90s another veterinary medicine librarian, I think she was at the University of Tennessee, said she'd found something new she liked better than Yahoo and I should try it. Google. Today Google owns us. Master of surveillance and manipulation. Now there are about 2 billion websites. Big Tech is more powerful than the President of the United States, the Congress, and the Supreme Court. What looked like freedom is now a prison and even if they opened the doors, no one would leave.





No comments: