Tuesday, December 14, 2004

644 Good News for your brain

Multi-tasking isn't good for you! Finally, I've seen in print what I've experienced.

". . .a growing number of studies show that trying to juggle jobs rather than completing them sequentially can take longer overall and leave multitaskers with a reduced ability to perform each task. In addition, the stress associated with multitasking may contribute to short-term memory difficulties. The combination results in inefficiency, sloppy thinking and mistakes--not to mention the possible dangers of divided attention . . ." p. 63 "The limits of multitasking," Scientific American Mind, Premier Issue, 2004.

So take that cell phone off your head, snuff out the cigarette, stop eating, take a deep breath and drive like a sane person.

5 comments:

Don said...

I'm going to find that aticle and send it to my boss and my wife and everyone else who seems to think I should be better at multitasking and prioritizing and to whom I have sometimes admitted I wish I never got my degrees and still had the one-task-at-a-time job that paid an hourly wage.

Norma said...

Although I collect and write about first issues (see http://premiereissue.blogspot.com, In the Beginning), I seldom see one to which I'd like to subscribe. Scientific American Mind looks like a keeper.

Paula said...

I need to pay more attention while driving, but it isn't cuz I multitask in the car...I just space out. Other stuff, though, I can do well while multitasking. I think it's just a genetic thing, like eidetic memory, which my eldest daughter and I also have.

Norma said...

That's a new one on me, Paula. Eidetic: marked by or involving extraordinarily accurate and vivid recall esp. of visual images. But if you are multitasking, what if what you are doing isn't visual?

Paula said...

Listening is harder. Usually I take notes on what I hear if I need to remember it.