Monday, December 20, 2004

658 Hmmm, smells like apple pie, he said

Maybe it smelled like apple pie, but it looked like sewage from the bottom of a broken garbage disposal. This morning I decided to slice and cook some withered, soft apples. So I put a bit of margarine in the cast iron skillet and sliced the apples into it. But they were dry, so I added a bit if apple cider. Then I got really creative and sprinkled over it some cinnamon and old fashioned oats. It was smelling quite lovely, so I decided to add some walnuts. The whole mess turned charcoal black.

After I threw it out, I decided to turn the kitchen into a chemistry lab. I heated up a bit of apple cider in the cast iron skillet and added walnuts. Turned the liquid black. Then I put some apple cider in a stainless steel saucepan and added walnuts. Turned darker brown, but not black. Then I took that brown mixture and added it to a different, smaller cast iron skillet, one with more baked on black gunk (I like to call it seasoning). No change. Then I moved it to the other cast iron skillet, which probably needs to be reseasoned, and it immediately turned black.

From the kitchen I went to Google, and tried all manner of combinations, finding lots of recipes that use both cider and walnuts, and lots of advice on how to properly season a cast iron skillet (this one is 45 years old). But nothing about turning out a black porridge that looks like I scraped it off the garage floor at the end of winter in Ohio.

So if anyone with more lab experience or more cooking experience knows why an improperly seasoned cast iron skillet turns cider black when walnuts are added, I'd like to know about it. Just don't ever try this unless you've got a lot of extra ingredients so you can start over.

4 comments:

Granny Snark said...

I'm sorry m'dear, but I can't answer your question as you HAUGHTILY DEMANDED on my blog. [grin] It sounds to me as though you are trying to build a case for why no one in her right mind would ever use cast iron skillets. I'm not a fan of them myself to be perfectly honest, and I never have been. If I need iron in my diet, I'll just do what any self-respecting person would do and sprinkle iron shavings on my oatmeal along with raisins and brown sugar.

Norma said...

So, PJ, you don't have black applesauce in your family cook book?

Twylah said...

Thanks for the cautionary tale. Cooking with a tripod over a campfire at the tipi has made me accustomed to using cast iron when I cook, but it's usually stews in a dutch oven, etc. I haven't ever added walnuts to anything. At home I cook with acidic ingredients (like tomatoes) a lot, so I have to reseason pretty often.

I'm committed to making Beef Wellington on Christmas Eve for my husband's family. You should know that I am the most Spastic Cook you've ever met: please pray for me! And Merry Christmas!

Norma said...

Among the seasoning advice, I did see a page for Dutch ovens. Never tried that, but I love my cast iron. Builds muscles.