Wednesday, December 15, 2004

648 Ophelia, please darken my door

Ophelia, please darken my door.

Was it somethin' that somebody said?
Mama, you know we broke the rules
Was somebody up against the law?
Honey, you know I'd die for you
They got your number Scared and runnin'
But I'm still waitin' for the second comin'
Of Ophelia
Come back home

Last night we watched The Last Waltz, the final concert of The Band in 1976. The film by Martin Scorsese was released in 1979, and re-released in 2002 on DVD, probably to a whole new audience, like me (the Band is our contemporary, but we weren't paying much attention to popular music in 1970s, or today for that matter). Anyway, we thoroughly enjoyed it. Robbie Robertson who says in the filmed interview, "The road--it's an impossible way of life," is still in the business as an arranger and song writer, and at some point the others regrouped and continued to play. Two of the original members have died.

No comments: