Saturday, April 30, 2005

1002 The Waffle Maker a.k.a. Waffle Iron

Where to start? I came home from Illinois with an extra Waffle Maker, a Toastmaster, which I'll eventually take to our lake house for leisurely summer brunches on the deck, with sides of fresh fruit and sausage. My husband loves waffles, and will order them at Abigail's (Lakeside, OH restaurant) if I don't fix them at home.

The reason I have an extra waffle maker is because its previous owner managed to cement the first waffle to the plates and finally had to pry it open with a screw driver. After numerous soakings, the waffle was dislodged by me, and I got the crevices clean and fixed waffles. But by this time, the original owner had already notified Toastmaster of the problem (instructions said to wait for green light, but this model had no green light), and the company sent him a new one.

Today I thought I'd surprise my husband, and I got out our Oster Belgium Waffle Maker. I purchased it in 2001 at an after-Christmas sale as a nice gift for me from me. For about two weeks we ate wonderful, fluffy waffles, and then I put it away. Then I think the last time I used it was for a luncheon with our son and his step-daughter on the deck of our condo in 2002. Well, that's another story too that makes me weep--she, our only chance at being grandparents, now lives in California, and probably doesn't remember eating waffles with us, or even us for that matter.

Meanwhile, I have hunted through all my recipe caches, shelves, books and folders, and little wooden and metal recipe boxes, but I can't find the manufacturer's recipe book and instructions. "Just use another recipe," my husband suggested, but it isn't that easy. It is the booklet that tells you the appliance's whims and secrets so you don't cement the plates together. Does it want the batter dumped in the middle, or evenly distributed into the 4 squares; do the plates remove for cleaning; what sort of signal will it give when ready to accept or disgorge its contents; and most importantly, it has the notes I wrote along side the printed recipes.

In my hunt for the illusive instruction booklet, I opened my "Household Slips 'n Clips" and found the warranties for my children's yellow 20" Schwinn bikes they had in the early 1970s; a user's manual for a GE portable record player purchased in Nov. 1973 (must have been for the children's birthdays); assembly instructions and safety manual for a gym set for the back yard; the payment ($6.82/mo) booklet for my Singer sewing machine purchased in August 1960; instructions for my portable electric typewriter which got me through graduate school; information on storing an electric blanket possibly from the 1970s; warranties for a trash can purchased in 1978 and a bathroom vent-light for a remodeling in 1974; washing instructions for bedroom curtains purchased in 1964; a plan for a linen closet we installed in our first house in 1962 in Champaign, IL; and operating instructions for a Telectro 2 speed tape recorder model 1970 from the late 1950s.

We no longer have those products, but now I have two waffle makers and no instruction book for either one.

7 comments:

Feed Fido said...

As with most of the objects in our home, our waffle maker has a history. DEar Husband got a brandnew waffle maker from our favorite thrift shop: a Viking waffle maker. Perfect, stove-top probably a discarded wedding present. Husband loves to cook and good cookware is always appreciated. I guess these days most folks want a frozen waffle. Your retirement sounds like bliss.

Feed Fido said...

Hey Norma,
I have been meaning to ask you how you went from liberal humanist to conservative humanist. If you blogged that before, just send me to your INDEXED postings!

And I thought of you today as I passed two Lutheran Churches within 5 blocks of eachother: one liberal (welcoming, liberal, rainbow patch type); the other appeared to be more traditional.

Norma said...

Hard to know about Lutheran churches. Ours would welcome anyone, but no women in the pulpit.

Cuppa said...

This is my first visit to your blog, and am so glad I stopped by. I found you through Anvilcloud over at Raindrops.

I can so relate to this post today. I think I file everything away so carefully, but when I go looking for one thing I find other old outdated material that is of no use anymore, but not the paper I am looking for.

You will find the recipe books the next time you go looking for the warranty for the toothbrush!!!!

Isn't life grand?

Anvilcloud said...

This is a waffle predicament for a librarian -- to not file things properly.

Norma said...

I know. It is so embarrassing to sing the alphabet when filing.

Oster Waffle Maker said...

Today I thought I'd surprise my husband, and I got out our Oster Belgium Waffle Maker. I purchased it in 2001 at an after-Christmas sale as a ... osterwaffle.blogspot.com