Saturday, September 03, 2005

1449 They are not refugees, they are peeps

That's my suggestion. I can't tell you how many irate people I've seen on TV complaining about the word "refugee." Some were just purists--it's a French word meaning to go to a foreign country for refuge. Others thought it was a way to dehumanize and demonize blacks. Well, lots of trendy people, like Paula, use the friendly word "peeps" to refer to a general clutch or group of people--sort of like using the word "they." And if you know peeps personally, I think they become "freeps."

I'm not sure if "peeps" can replace "refugees." It's sure to make someone mad. Where I grew up, peeps were baby chickens. They are sort of helpless and scatterbrained, and various groups will take offense. Also there is a confectionary product called marshmallow peeps, sweet and sticky with an easy melt down which comes in pink, yellow and green.

Language is very tricky--who can say what. A rapper I've never heard of who probably uses the words Ho and Niggar regularly in his music and takes buckets of money to the bank doing it, announced at an NBC fund raiser yesterday that "George Bush hates black people" because there was footage of looters on TV. Where are the film editors when you need them?

No comments: