Sunday, February 18, 2007

The puzzling media frenzy

The hype about Ms. Smith's death has really puzzled me. She had a talent only for getting herself in the news, even at the end, so I suppose that's something. I'm guessing that a few more potential dads will step forward for the riches of her daughter, but then DNA will show she wasn't the biological mother, so the brainless, aimless coverage will heat up even more. Still, it seems unfortunate to be a blonde celebrity, or at least one who posed for Playboy. Jayne Mansfield. Marilyn Monroe. Anna Nicole. All dead before 40. And the earlier blondes didn't fare all that well, either. Jean Harlow dead at 26. Betty Grable, bless her beautiful legs, did make it to 56.

These paper dolls I think may have belonged originally to my sister Carol, who passed them down to me when she moved on to movie magazines and photos. Also, they are pretty beat up--there's ancient scotch tape holding some of the limbs together. I've also got Mary Martin and Marguerite O'Brien, but as collections go, it's pretty sad.


, , ,

1 comment:

ChupieandJ'smama (Janeen) said...

Anna's story is just plain sad. Not that is was a shock, just sad that all those around her used her, let her self destruct (or helped her along) and will now fight over her money. The media loves a good fight. Especially when sex and money are involved. I'm afraid Brittany Spears may be next unless someone helps that poor girl before it's too late. Even though they've done this to themselves, you have to feel sorry for the pain they are going through.