Monday, February 05, 2007

Monday Memories--Did I ever tell you about Alice?

When my children were pre-schoolers, I met Alice through an open housing human relations group. We were the same age and each had two children about the same ages. We began doing a few things together, like taking the children to lunch, the library, or the park. Our kids even shared chicken pox because I noticed spots on her daughter's face when we were all on a picnic. We browsed craft shops and garage sales, the kids in tow. We both read a lot and kept up a steady stream of conversation. I sketched and painted and she enjoyed crafts. She kept busy and involved, but decided she would pursue an advanced degree. This was in the early years of the women's movement and there was a lot of buzz about the value of being a mother vs making a contribution in the work place. Even I attended some "consciousness raising" groups at the university and felt the pull. It was heady stuff for young mothers whose highlight of the day might be a consult with the pre-school teacher or the dentist. We then began a rather complicated schedule of shared babysitting. She needed my help much more than I needed hers, because I didn't need as much time away from children. There was no time to just do the fun things in our little group of six. I was looking forward to summer when her classes would be over. One day in June she drove up with the children and announced she was leaving her husband. The three of them drove away, the three of us stood in the drive-way and waved good bye. I never saw or heard from her again. It was Father's Day.

------
There aren't too many left in the Monday Memories group who post regularly, but it's a convenient way to recall some things of the past, even the less than pleasant ones like this.

5 comments:

Ladybug Crossing said...

It's a sad memory, but people come in and out of our lives for reasons unknown to us. You were there when she needed you. You can at least take comfort in that.
xo
LBC

ChupieandJ'smama (Janeen) said...

What a sad memory. I hope things worked out for all of them, especially the children. It's amazing how many people come in and out of our life and how they much of an imprint they leave on it even if they were there for a short time.

sallywrites said...

I too once had a friend who became a good friend for just a few months. She had children the same age as mine.

Then, one day, she too left her husband, and that was it. I tried writing, but she cut all links to her previous life. Like your friend, I never heard from her again.

Very sad. Good post.

Sally

Melli said...

Awwwww... that's sad! I wonder what ever became of her... and I bet you do to. It's sO hard to have people just disappear out of your life... with no warning. I wonder if her husband had a clue she was thinking of leaving...

Anonymous said...

Now I know why men used to want to keep their women illiterate hundreds of years ago. A lot of good it has done us all.

:) How could we have been so stupid to fall for the Women's Movement BS? Sad, very sad.