Monday, February 09, 2009

Monday Memories--1976 in Southern California

My husband doesn't write many letters, so what a surprise today when I came across a real gold mine of copies of letters--maybe 10--he'd written in the 1970s. Don't remember now what I was looking for because I got so involved in reading them. Our family took at trip to California in 1976 to visit my husband's father, step-mother, brother and sister. We didn't know them too well--his parents were divorced when he was about two years old and he'd only seen them about once a decade. But we had a wonderful time, and the siblings have grown much closer over the years. (See the photos of the siblings at his sister's wedding 30 years later in 2006). But I thought this letter to his California parents was quite sweet. It's written on company letterhead in precise architectural printing at an angle across the page with his unique spelling, so I'm pretty sure I didn't have a hand in it. I'm glad he thought to make a photocopy of it.


BRUBAKER/BRANDT, INC. ARCHITECTS PLANNERS

Dad & Rosie,

Well, what can I say after a 9 day, storybook, Southern California vacation that was perfect in every detail. I could talk about the places I saw, the beauty of the land and ocean, the make-believe of Disney or ocean marine animals doing fantastic tricks. The sun filled sky and the smiles and laughter of our children watching animated bears singing and sea lions balancing balls in the water. But that would only be half of the story.

The other half was the best for me. Seeing and visiting family which I had not seen in many years. To learn to love again the family which has been on my mind many times. To see and hold a sister which has grown and matured into a lovely lady of beauty and talent. Could it really have been 16 years since I saw her last? I hope never again that long.

To see and spend a day with a brother who Norma says reminds her of me, surely she doesn't mean physically, and learn of his goals and values. Aunts and cousins which brought back memories of boyhood days at Lake Webster. What a great visit we all had that day. And of course, you Dad, for the time you shared with us at breakfast, filling our cups with coffee and love. And with you Rosie, being with you for the first time since I was eleven or so. Learning to love you and visiting with you and the pictures in your photo album.

It was the finest vacation our family ever had. Give my love to all and come our way when you can.


Dad and Rosie and our family, March 1976

And there were hand printed letters also to his brother and sister in the file. It's enough to make an old lady cry.

No comments: