Saturday, February 07, 2009

Speaking of prayer

There is a newsletter for parents called theParentLink that comes from the Erie Christian Fellowship in Pennsylvania. There were three prayer requests in a side box, one reading, "Ask God to help your children embrace and celebrate people's differences." (The theme for February seems to be diversity.) Since most adults don't do that, it might be more honest to say, "help me embrace and celebrate people's differences." But that aside, what do you think of using the word "celebrate" in this way? I know, I know. I'm being picky, but that poor word has practically been destroyed by the touchy, feely, gushy language of multiculturalism and diversity, which in fact is a very divisive movement, in calling on people to recognize their differences rather than their similarities and commonalities. The dictionary meaning of "celebrate" has some meat on its bones. ". . . to observe a holiday, perform a religious ceremony, or take part in a festival. To observe a notable occasion with festivities." It's a nice 15th century word meaning to honor with solemn ceremonies or deviation from routine.

If you'll ignore my chin hair and wrinkles, I'll avert my eyes at your tattoo and nose stud. Let's not celebrate our age differences, let's serve God together.

No comments: