Saturday, February 07, 2009

A prayer for the President

Heavenly Father, in the name of Jesus who died for all, I ask you to hear my prayer for the president. I read that he got very angry with people over the failures in the stimulus package. That's certainly understandable, and I'm angry too. Remind me and him that we can take our anger to you--you are a great big God as the children's song says, and you can handle our tiny, weak fists beating the air over things that are out of control. Your word is so clear; we are not righteous. Only you are. Be with those for whom this face of anger is a new thing. Forgive them for making the President, or any king or dictator or despot or official, more than a mere mortal who has flaws and makes mistakes just like the rest of us. As it says in your holy practical book of James, may we, the president and I, be swift to hear, slow to speak, and slow to anger. Yes, Lord, that would be good. And thank you for that good word. Amen

No comments: