Friday, May 15, 2009

Shamed into cleaning my car interior

I've cleaned out my car. I was shamed into it. On Wednesday I'd parked at the UAPL Lane Rd. next to a gray Sebring convertible (top up), with a Zanesville dealer plate holder. As I got out of my van, I looked into that car's interior--sits very low. Trash filled the entire interior up to the dash. A Columbus Dispatch unread was on top, sliding onto the dash, disgorging all the glossy adverts. There was just enough room for the driver to slip behind the steering wheel. There was more "stuff" in that 2 door sports car than in our entire garage (not counting our cabinets); more stuff than our basement storeroom; more stuff than my office. Gracious! I thought. Is that what people think when they look at that handy net between the driver and passenger seat of my van? About 4 magazines, various tissues, an umbrella, 3 or 4 pens and pencils, gas receipts, small water bottle, CDs, grocery store flyers, church newsletters from February, a bath towel/floor mat for exercise class, gloves, sun glasses, etc. At my next stop, I grabbed a plastic bag and filled it with everything that was disposable and not needed and put it in a trash can. Hoarding I don't do. Clutter, yes. Hoarders can't dispose because of the fear that something terrible will happen--like a need or desire to use it. Imagine your worst fear, and that's what they experience throwing out their "treasures." Then today I dropped off the package of donated items that had been in the back seat for 4 or 5 months. I was tempted to open the sack because I couldn't remember what that hard thing on the bottom was, but thought better of it. You can get into big trouble asking too many questions. Don't seek, don't spill.

1 comment:

ChupieandJ'smama (Janeen) said...

My car is a total pit. If it doesn't rain tomorrow like they say, you've shamed me into cleaning mine :)