Friday, May 22, 2009

Whoopi and Rachel exchanging misinformation

Walking through the living room to wash the dirt off my hands and straighten up my back (working in the yard, a task I'm not accustomed to) I heard Rachel say to Whoopi that obese people tell her they'd love to cook some of her recipes but they can't afford broccoli and fruits and vegetables. That's such an outrageous lie! If they want to believe it, that's one thing, but she shouldn't be spreading gossip. Yesterday I was in the "12 items or less" line and the woman in front of me bought 7 packages of Jello and a small can of mixed fruit. She paid more than I did and I bought 4 apples, 2 bananas, l lb. of carrots, a pint of organic grape tomatoes and a pound of strawberries--I know I paid with a ten and got back change and some bills.

The myth that the poor are obese because of "expensive" processed food (i.e., it's the fault of capitalism) is just ridiculous. They are fat for the same reason everyone else is--too many calories and too little exercise.

Come on, Whoopi--you aren't skinny and you sure aren't poor!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I SEE" POOR" COME THOUGH OUR LOCAL FOOD PANTRY...THEY USUALLY PICK UP THE STARCHY ITEMS AND THE QUICK COOK STUFF. I THINK IT IS HOW THEY WERE RAISED..QUICK EVERYTHING. WE NEED TO TRY TO RE-EDUCATE. I USUALLY TRY TO SUGGEST THINGS THAT CAN BE MADE INTO MEALS AND WILL SAY"IF YOU ADD A SALAD AND A BANANA -YOU GOT SUPPER...BUT WHAT DO I KNOW,WE STILL MAKE BROWNIES FROM SCRATCH AROUND HERE! YOU ARE RIGHT, IT IS NOT THE LACK OF MONEY THAT MAKES US FAT...EAT LESS,MOVE MORE AND THEN YOU CAN WORRY ABOUT SOMETHING ELSE AND NOT THE WEIGHT.IF I AM AS DUMB AS THEY COME AND I CAN FIGURE THIS ONE...COME ON FOLKS!

Norma said...

When I work the food pantry, I'm surprised at how well informed the clients are about salt, calories, carbs, etc. I see them pick up the can and read the label. Sometimes they put it back and say, "my doctor says no."

Anonymous said...

I see that some with sweet items but generally not with anything else. Your folks are better informed ...we have some work to do.