Tuesday, November 30, 2010

I love you, but . . .

Elizabeth Bernstein has a fashion article in today's WSJ that has a lot of wisdom about relationships. She writes: "Woe to the man who tries to makeover his woman." She's talking fashion here ("Do you like this outfit?" can be a relationship killer if a woman asks it; a man probably won't ask.) She says women are more insecure and harbor perceived insults like an elephant--they NEVER forget.

If you're the laundress/laundryman in your home, you can sometimes sneak out the old, frayed, worn and way too comfortable clothing. If your guy is outside raking leaves, he may see more people in a glance than several hours at church. If I never see that never faded, gold colored t-shirt with a button neck that formerly belonged to one of our daughter's boyfriends in the 80s, I won't miss it. I think it was worn for yard work about 20 years.

I love the program on TLC cable "What not to wear," but I sometimes wonder if the makeovers are like diets, and if you checked back in 2 years, would their closets be just the same.

No comments: