Sunday, November 28, 2010

Thanksgiving leftovers--returning the containers

As I contemplate a counter full of odd shaped and homeless containers with lids sitting on my kitchen counter, I think about two things. 1) How long before I get them back to their own homes, and 2) What did women do about leftovers in the 1940s and 1950s, before the ubiquitous plastic container with a matching lid and plastic-wrap were invented? (I'm old--the first time I saw Saran Wrap was about 1953. I thought it was amazing because it would stick to the dish.) And I'm sure my mother didn't use Reynoldswrap when I was a child.

I think the reason I don't know the answer to #2 is when I was young, we ate holiday dinners at home and because there were six of us, people came to our house. Then later we would sometimes go to grandparents or aunts' homes of the other side of the family and eat some more. No one brought food back to my parents' home that I can remember because we already had a turkey carcass. And no one would dare compete with my mother's pies.

Also, when I started my family, we always went to Indianapolis or Illinois when the children were young, and by the time they were grown and returned occasionally to eat at our house (not very often, I guess they don't like my cooking), the plastic container for purchased food and plastic wrap had been invented. I think the so-called disposable containers came a little later.

Don't send me scare stories about storing or reheating food in plastic. There are all sorts of advice columns on that on the internet, and if I've made it this far by ingesting a few chemicals, I probably can go a few more years. But if you remember taking home leftovers in the "good old days" tell me how our mothers and grandmothers did it.

2 comments:

Carol said...

I'm afraid I don't have much to offer. I very vaguely remember dishes being put in boxes with dish towels wrapped around them to keep them secure. However I don't know how accurate that memory is.

Ladybug Crossing said...

I remember plates being sent home with waxed paper wrapped around them... I also remember cardboard boxes or picnic baskets with dishes full of food in them... I'm not sure though, because we used to bring food in dishes, but most everything that Mom made got eaten in the first 10 minutes... :-)