Tuesday, October 18, 2011

One of the 53 percent

Today I talked to an assistant manager--mid twenties--at a nice chain restaurant--asked him about his college loans. "Don't have any," he said. "I didn't go to college--don't need to." Next he'll get his own store with the chain, then he hopes to some day own his own restaurant; probably started at minimum wage running the register or bussing tables. I believe in eduction--especially would like to see more students graduating from high school that didn't need remedial work in college. But this man had good people skills, excellent English, no nose or ear rings or tattoos (showing), he shows up on time, works hard, is friendly to old ladies, and he has a plan. And then there are the "occupiers" . . .

I'd be mad too if I were paying $65,212 a year to attend Columbia School of Social Work (I checked the website), and then found out my first salary wouldn't pay the postage to mail the laundry back home to mom, let alone buy pizza and beer. You might think that before investing over a quarter of a million dollars in an education a student would check out how much writing grants or visiting poor children paid. Now they want us, the 53%, to pay their college loans.

"The protesters' [at OWS] online manifestos read like a Marxist child's letter to Santa Claus, demanding everything from college loan debt forgiveness to a living wage "regardless of employment." " Ben Boychuk

5 comments:

Norma said...

The commenter insulted me in the first sentence, so was deleted. I don't mind a discussion, but won't allow spitting.

Anonymous said...

THE TRUTH HURTS

Norma said...

Didn't hurt a bit--Anon has overcome her past, is facing her future, but has a swelled head about to burst, and it looked nasty on my page.

Anonymous said...

Typical of people like you...now, how can anyone make an educated decision regarding whether you are correct in your biased assertion? My post has been removed so that no one knows what I had to say. They can only see your opinion regarding what I said.

If you really wanted to make your point, and if I was truly what you say I am, why not leave the post for everyone to read? Then they would of course agree with you....that is....if you were telling the TRUTH.

Norma said...

Your personal story, if you are the Anon I deleted, particularly your job and how you paid your debts, was interesting and laudatory. Your insults, derogatory remarks, tattoo history and hysteria, were not. Rewrite it, be polite, and I just might let you in. Temper tantrums--don't need them. My rules. You're a guest here.