Tuesday, September 11, 2018

September 11

We all know what September 11 means, that scary day in 2001. It was sitting in my office of our home watching TV, and saw the second plane and listened to the amazing TV staff on duty that day.  But in 1988, 30 years ago, there were millions of people who'd been led to believe that September 11-13 (give or take), Jesus was coming back to rapture the church. (And it was the month we settled our mortgage and bought our home in Lakeside which we've been enjoying for 30 years and since we’re not in the group that believes in the rapture we had pretty much ignored the warnings.)  A retired NASA engineer, Edgar Whisenant, wrote 2 books predicting Jesus would return--he sold 4.5 million copies, and enterprising promoters were selling trips to the Holy Land with a beautiful view of the Eastern Gate and Temple Mount. And they ignored, or explained away, Matthew 25:13.

I fell on the treadmill at the gym, Lifetime Fitness, yesterday. I wasn't injured, just hurt my pride. Another woman, also in her 70s, a cute little brunette, stopped and jumped off her machine, and rushed over to stop mine so I could get off. Otherwise, I might still be dangling. If I hadn't been going there 6x a week, I wouldn't have had the strength to hang on; on the other hand, if I hadn't been going 6x a week, I wouldn't have even been on the darn thing!

1 comment:

Sue said...

"...since we’re not in the group that believes in the rapture we had pretty much ignored the warnings."

Just curious. Do you not believe in the Rapture at all, or just the predictions on that one? I, for one, believe it is sooooo close...Just look at the Middle East, the weather of "Biblical proportions" and the "lawlessness abounding" everywhere. What else do you need to be convinced? Of course, "no man knows the day or the hour..."