Friday, September 14, 2018

Why is Puerto Rico a mess and why is it Trump’s fault?

I decided to research why Puerto Rico was such a financial mess before Hurricane Maria in 2017. I didn't do my usual careful 15 minutes, but spent about 3 minutes in Wikipedia, which would be a no-no if I were a student. Now I know. There are several roots to this problem--all white men, of course. 1) Christopher Columbus (1493), William McKinley (1900), Woodrow Wilson (1917), Richard Nixon (1973), and most recently Bill Clinton (1996), phasing out important parts of the favorable federal tax code over a ten-year period ending in 2006 (G.W. Bush). The U.S. did help make Puerto Rico weak, helpless and poorly run by making it a playground for the rich and providing billions to its corrupt officials, but Donald Trump was not part of that.

No comments: