Saturday, August 14, 2004

420 Republicans elected Bill Clinton

I voted for Bill Clinton (first term), but I was a Democrat then, so why wouldn't I? I didn't dislike George Bush (41), but party loyalty kept me from looking too closely at the man who we would put in office. I liked Al Gore and thought he balanced Clinton's very obvious (even then) personal failures. Later, when my Republican friends ribbed me, I reminded them that it was the defection of conservative Republicans over to Ross Perot who moved George and Barbara out of the White House. Clinton could not have won without the Republicans.

Now it looks like it could happen again. Harold Lamb in his August 14 column says it better than I could, but I do see the defection among some of the most prominent bloggers who formerly were strong Bush supporters. Some don't like the Federal Marriage Amendment; some don't like his wild spending on social programs (me included); some impatient pundits think the war hasn't had the intended results (conservatives should look at the 15 years following our Declaration of Independence). Lamb warns Republicans that it could happen again--they'll put another really poor Democratic president into the White House for 8 years.

No comments: