Monday, August 30, 2004

445 The President at Ft. Meigs, Ohio

Only a thick filter of hate can cause one to say President Bush is not an effective speaker. We heard his entire speech Saturday live on a Toledo TV station (as near as I can tell, there is not a word about the speech in the Toledo Blade except to note on Friday that the President would be in Northwest Ohio on Saturday). Fort Meigs on the Maumee River was built in 1813 to protect northwest Ohio and Indiana from British invasion. I'm sure there is symbolism here someplace, lost on the local media. The speech was in front of about 15,000 party faithful who cheered no matter what he said or how. But from our living room, we could be a bit more discerning.

I’ve never worked for a national campaign except for stuffing a few envelopes for the Democrats back in the early 70s, but I plan to call the Franklin County office when I get home and offer my services.

No comments: