Monday, March 28, 2005

960 Maybe you're asking too much?

Lots of bloggers gripe about blogger.com as their hosting site. I don't--well, OK, sometimes I do. I think for something free and easy, it's pretty nifty. But I see a lot of sites that are asking way too much and just inviting failure. I left a note at The Crusader's comments. He's really unhappy about Blogger.com's performance. He's a Homespun blogger and I just stopped by to look at his site. There are Bible verses, books' adverts with photos, flags and symbols, all sorts of logos for things he cares about.

As you can see from the load of links I have, I should perhaps not be talking. But I do go through and remove those I think are causing problems. I'd love to have Sal Towse here, but every time I add her link, kaboom, the whole thing goes whacky, so I go to Paula or PJ or Hip Liz and link from them. I also try to not load too many photos and quizes, because I think they slow things down (and seem to add pop-ups and cookies). My note:

"Just an opinion, Mr. Crusader. You have an awful lot loaded on your page--even in your comments--which means more ways to fail. It's like buying the dishwasher or washing machine with all the gizmos, bells and whistles. Sometimes less is more in writing as blog as well as architecture.

I've noticed on mine, that certain links, even to individual bloggers, will cause mine to malfunction or load slowly, and I've had to remove them.

Also, if I've really worked hard on a post I either do it in wp first, or I block and copy before I hit draft. Then I check it, and publish. Occasionally even "draft" malfunctions, but if I've copied it I have it. I've noticed that "publish" in compose causes more problems than "publish" in html."

2 comments:

Paula said...

Interesting. I wonder if part of it is that the qualified minority women are snapped up by big companies that offer top salaries so that they can look "PC" or whatever. It used to be that way in large law firms and might still be--I don't know cuz I'm at a small, niche kind of place and hubby's in biz for himself now.

Norma said...

You're commenting on 959. The analysis of these stats will be interesting. Someone will need to look at the age at which degreed black women marry (or not), and whether they use their freedom to relocate to the better paying jobs.