Monday, May 02, 2005

Librarians around the world wonder about this

At least they wonder in public libraries. My recollection is that in academic libraries people weren't so shy.

"Here's a question for the library folk: Why are patrons so against putting books on hold? I mean, why, when I tell people I can get them on the waiting list for one of the 63 unavailable copies of The Grim Grotto (exaggeration), they get a weird look on their face and say no thanks? The library already has your information, it's not like we need anything extra, nor are we going out of our way to perform some astronomical favor for you. Please, lady, just let me put in on hold."

Suggestion: Please go to the library and place something on hold. It will make the librarian's day.

Seen at Perks of Being a Librarian.

3 comments:

Cuppa said...

My librarians must love me. I put books on hold all the time. I use the inter-library loan service on a regular basis too. I don't know what I would do without my friendly neighbourhood library and all the services they provide.

Norma said...

I hope they use your face and quote on the next bond issue, or however you support libraries in Canada.

crunchiemouse said...

it cld be because you need to pay for a hold in public libraries ;)