Sunday, November 13, 2005

1765 Your Dream Library

On September 8, Booking Through Thursday asked this question.

  1. What kind of room is your dream library in (one wall of your living room, dedicated room, corner of the kitchen, etc.)?

  2. What genre are most of your books?

  3. Are the books all hard cover, paperback, leather, or mixed medium?

This would be my dream library if the shelves weren't stationery stationary and 2 ft deep, and if it weren't in the lower level. Right now, we call it my husband's office. But he is retiring and I have plans. I've already taken over most of the far left section.


Most of our books are non-fiction; theology and religion; art and architecture; reference sources; and parts of my grandparents' home library. I really like "collected works." I don't cook much but seem to have an awful lot of recipe collections, the newest of which is from our church.

I'm fond of cheap books--free is best; resale next. But I do like a good hardcover with a decent, artistic cover. I like the bargain shelves at Half-Price Books, and the free box at the church library. My newest find is "Complete Guide to Needlework" (1979) from the clearance shelf for $3. I'm learning to knit--it has pictures. I'm a sucker for books of art exhibitions, like the Columbus Museum of Art gift shop. I'm so enthusiastic about the exhibit, then buy the book, then never look at it.

There is no good way to store a premiere issue collection. They lean, they flop, they don't like their neighbors. Even with their own blog, they are out of control.

1 comment:

Barbara said...

I would love to have a place to put my books like you have in your office. We use a bedroom that was our son's, when he was home, for our computer room. I've always wanted a built-in place for my books ever since we've been in our home, and never gotten it. I should have had it built in, when we built. My books are on tables, desks, or in boxes, stored away. I have many children's books that my grandchildren could be making use of right now, if they were out in the open.