Friday, November 14, 2008

If you work for a non-profit

you are fronting for the government--either federal, state or local. That's the conclusion I've come to after days of looking bleary-eyed through hundreds of websites on housing and nutrition. I've learned that we have thousands and thousands of these organizations, mostly mushrooming in the 80s and 90s, but now growing like black mold (excuse the mixed fungal metaphors). These organizations look my like genealogy charts with cousins, funny uncles, great-great aunties, and step-children of your sister-in-law's third marriage. Before the Johnson Great Society era, I think non-profits were pretty insignificant, although I can't be sure. What seems to really have grown under the last three presidents, is the public-private partnership concept where private business is thrown into the mix of tax games and government grants. Foundations have a huge role too--they often get the ball rolling with small grants to hire researchers who find a bigger problem, then get government grants to hire staff, to find more money, to hire more staff, etc. etc.

I've learned we don't really worry much anymore about the homeless (lack of housing is the least of their problems); now it's "affordable" housing. And hunger seems to be yesterday's news; it's now food security.

Yes, the government is much, much bigger than I thought. And you are probably working for the government and didn't realize it thinking that of course the USDA should be pushing "culturally appropriate food," and housing for low income people should now be "green" in addition to building wealth, reducing obesity and sending children to college.

I was a librarian. I always knew I worked for the government. I just didn't know you did!

No comments: