Monday, December 01, 2008

Back to turnip greens

Two years ago I developed a taste for turnip greens and collard greens when I was looking for something interesting to eat while dieting that wouldn't get my taste buds excited. (That's half the battle, you know.) I hadn't had any for awhile, but bought some canned today. Seasoned with tasty stuff. Usually I buy fresh, but really, if they've been sitting awhile, they probably lost more vitamins than the cooked variety. The seasoned variety has about double the calories of the plain--but still only 40 calories for 1/2 cup--and I added an onion, a little rice, and sprinkled some parmesan cheese on top. Yummy.


A wonderful source of Vit. A, and a good source of Vit. C, calcium and fiber. Still, I don't think I'll get into my red jeans by Christmas. It sure goes on easier than it comes off.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Norma,
I'm working my way through your blogs from the oldest to the newest and am commenting where I think I might have something reasonably intelligent to say. I am so put off by the younger folks abbreviated words and comments that I will probably talk you to death in opposition.

As for greens, I developed a taste for them when I was in my early twenties and my husband and I and our children would go to Fountain Run, KY to the Eaton family "Homecoming" each August. I have yet to witness so many "messes" of greens seasoned so many ways in my life and I became an addict. In fact just today, I lunched on fresh cooked collards (just coming in down here in South Alabama)and I'll probably pass enough gas to run my poor dog off the bed tonight but they are so satisfying. He sleeps with me, a nine-pound chihuahua named Chico.

Through the 18 or 20 years of raising a family, I had access to some sumptious garden soil at my parent's home, so I probably grew every variety I could find seeds for and loved them all. My kids (now in their upper 40's) never inherited the "greens" gene so I'm no longer growing any. I do haunt the local farm markets down here and buy as I find them.

Glad to find a fellow greens lover.

Sarah