Friday, December 11, 2009

Humility isn't his strength

Or maybe it's just his generation. "By our count there were 38 I's (including two I'ms, but excluding two I's in a quote from Martin Luther King) in President Obama's speech accepting the Nobel Peace Prize." James Taranto, Dec. 10
    I receive this honor with deep gratitude and great humility. . . . I cannot argue with those who find these men and women--some known, some obscure to all but those they help--to be far more deserving of this honor than I. . . . I am the Commander-in-Chief. . . . I come here with an acute sense of the costs of armed conflict. . . . I do not bring with me today a definitive solution to the problems of war. . . . I make this statement mindful of what Martin Luther King Jr. said. . . . I am living testimony to the moral force of non-violence. . . . I face the world as it is. . . . I--like any head of state--reserve the right to act unilaterally. . . . I prohibited torture. . . . I ordered the prison at Guantanamo Bay closed. . . . I have reaffirmed America's commitment to abide by the Geneva Conventions.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Murray sez:
There are many forms of torture. How many taxpaying citizens does Obama think he's mentally and financially torturing with his "fundamentally transforming the United States of America"? Plus his "Sharing the wealth" by giving their hard earned dollars to non-contributors and illegals.
Let's see where his "Peace Prize" takes him when the grass-rooters of our great country start a civil war. He's working to bring people together alright. Together to fight their own government!

Anonymous said...

How petty can one get?

Anonymous said...

King won the Nobel in 1964, after years of being arrested and persecuted for his pursuit of basic human rights. Obama gets it for nothing but looking and talking purty. Yes, that is truly a marvelous testimony to the moral force of non-violence.

Norma said...

Someone needs to hand this man a new, less self-serving script with a body count. The world is a much more violent place today than in King's time. Mainly two reasons: 1) Marxist regimes where governments destroy their own subjects, 2) Islamoterrorism--primarily against other Muslims. Neither of which Obama sees as a problem worth using the word or concept "victory." Toss in abortion, which he believes in for any reason at any time as a "right" and Dr. King would be embarrassed to be mentioned in his speech.