Saturday, December 26, 2009

Vintage make-up mirror


CLAIROL True-to-Light, 3 Way Lighted Make-up Mirror. Purchased for Christmas 1979. It has 2 adjustable fold out side mirrors, and a large center mirror. Center mirror can rotates for magnification. The light bulbs are replaceable (2026 lamp)--or were 30 years ago. It has 4 settings for Day, Office, Evening, and Home plus ON and OFF button. Gently used by former 30-something housewife turned librarian who rarely wore make-up.

These things are outrageously priced on the various on-line web resale sites. I'm cleaning closets today, and it will go for a song, a poem, or possibly nothing if I take it to the Discovery Shop. The guide book says the lamps last 4,000 hours, so I figure there are at least 3,750 left, and I turned it on--everything works--I just don't want to be that close to my face anymore.

As you age, you need less make-up, not more. I dab a bit on about 5 a.m. in the morning--takes about 2 minutes after I wash and moisturize my face (with Watkins if I have it). Some foundation, a whisk of cheek blush and I'm good to go. Mascara and liner makes my eyes itch. I rarely wear lipstick anymore because it has a tendency to want to climb into my lip lines. Not a pretty sight.

The other day I was talking to an old friend and we were trying to remember the name of a woman we knew 30 years ago. I'm sure she was younger then than I am now, but he described her as the woman with all the make up and smeared lipstick. Then I remembered her! Isn't that just so sad? To be remembered by the wrong hair color, or the make-up collecting in your wrinkles, or smeared lipstick. Oh. Dear. Soul.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Another mistake is wearing the same color you wore 40 years ago. I've seen a lot of orangy face 60 year olds.

Anonymous said...

then you have 70 yr olds without any make-up.Enough to scare ya to death!

Norma said...

I got an e-mail from someone in PA who said she wanted to buy it, but I guess she changed her mine.

Lighted Makeup Mirror said...

CLAIROL True-to-Light, 3 Way Lighted Make-up Mirror. Purchased for Christmas 1979. It has 2 adjustable fold out side mirrors, and a large ... elightedmakeup.blogspot.com