Sunday, April 11, 2010

Only eleven weeks until Lakeside (summer)

Yesterday I bought a Family Circle--the cover said it had a walking plan/program that would get me in shape by summer. Promises, promises. But it does sell magazines. I remember when Family Circle's cover price went from 7 cents to 10 cents--I think the cover story was about the first lady, Jackie Kennedy. This issue was $1.99 and quite fat with advertising. Magazines in the past 2 years have become very skinny--so a return of advertising means someone at the top of the food chain believes it is safe to invest again. Everyone benefits from advertising, so even though I rip out a lot of pages, I know it keeps the printers, paper producers, ink makers, ad writers, free lance writers, editors, secretaries, magazine fulfillment agencies, library check-in clerks, etc. in a job. Even the news stand seller and the guy who drives that little beat up van, tossing them on the sidewalk benefit. Then they take what's left of their paycheck after the government takes its "share," and spread it around your community, they may even go out and buy some of the products advertised (although a lot of it seemed to be either medical products or pet products I'd never use).

Back to the summer deadline. I saw a recipe for a rich, dense chocolate cake that would be just perfect for next Sunday's church brunch, and it's sugar free. Served with raspberries, I think it will be wonderful. That combined with all the walking (the walking program was only 4 weeks, so I guess once you get up to speed you just repeat), and we're good to go.

No comments: