Monday, April 05, 2010

Monday Memories--In your Easter bonnet

We served communion at the Easter Sunrise Service at our Lutheran Church. You can't really see the sun in our suburban neighborhood until about 9 a.m., but the windows were all darkened, and as we sang the first hymn, "Jesus Christ is Risen Today," the ushers pulled down the draping, and the lights gradually went up. With the pipe organ, full choir, and the processional it was sort of like a staged sunrise.

When I was in high school the community sunrise Easter service was a big event--I think it was on the athletic field at the high school and we sat on the bleachers. April services were better than March, sun better than rain or fog. I'm sure we ruined our new shoes in the wet grass. It wouldn't be a stretch if I said the girls were in little clutches, giggling and eying the boys. Some things haven't changed much in 55 years. I probably didn't do this more than three or possibly four times, but series of events in childhood seem to be in the "always" category. I can remember my Easter dress of 1955 and 1956, and although I know there are photos somewhere, I can't seem to lay my hand on them. I've been an early riser all my life, so sunrise services are just perfect for my internal clock. In my junior year, however, I overslept. My boyfriend came to the house to pick me up for the event, and the house was dark. So he walked in (no one locked their houses then), walked up stairs, past my parents' bedroom and into mine, woke me up, then went back down stairs to wait. That and my red shoes and noisy crinoline are about all I remember. Don't even recall who was the preacher that day, although the responsibility was rotated among the four churches.

Men and women don't dress up much these days, a little bit more for Easter. I actually saw two hats at church. But the little girls in the urban neighborhood UALC supports get to select lovely dresses which have been collected by members for weeks--with all the accessories, and they've been hanging in the hall at church before they are gathered up for distribution. Beautiful, dainty, gorgeous colors, delicate prints and bold designs. As we returned with family for the 11 a.m. service, the 9:30 (informal) was letting out, and I noticed the beautiful young teen girls almost all were in darling dresses.

Why do young girls get to have all the fun of dressing up?

2 comments:

Nikki Comer said...

I love Easter because it is the demonstration of God that life is
essentially spiritual and timeless.

Hope you had a Egg-ceptional, Eggs-traordinary Easter !!!

Nikki

Anonymous said...

Via e-mail: "Funny you mentioned our childhood dress at Easter. I was telling my husband yesterday about an outfit I had - lavender skirt and jacket that was lavender and cream. Think I had cream heels, hose with the seam, gloves. I tho't I looked like a model, I'm sure. I even remember WALKING to church. I must have really wanted to show off. I still have a box of gloves.

I still love dressing up - and do - in this casual world. Nice thing is, one can wear most anything and be accepted. My dad used to comment when he visited Montana - isn't there any place to go where men wear a coat or tie? We'd go to a nice restaurant, and there would be a lot of jeans and there on up.

I have a lot of women friends in their early 80s, and they tend to spiff up more than the younger ones. When I'm out with them, I know I can go for broke! Ha!"