Monday, December 26, 2011

Am I happy or blessed?

Today I was reading Psalm 119 in a modern English version, and found it off-putting to use our common, homely, overused, trite word HAPPY instead of the more familiar BLESSED. But then I did a little research, and found that HAPPY is more accurate, plus it has a deeper meaning than we usually assign to it.
Happy are they who follow the pure path,
who walk in the law of the Lord.
Happy are they who obey his decrees
and seek him out with all their heart.

Ps. 119:1 BLESSED (HAPPY, fortunate, to be envied) are the undefiled (the upright, truly sincere, and blameless) in the way [of the revealed will of God], who walk (order their conduct and conversation) in the law of the Lord (the whole of God's revealed will). Amplified Bible.

Also came across this explaining the difference between ashre (happy) and barak (blessed). Ashre involves our choices, our doing.
Dr. Walter D. Zorn, Prof. of OT & Biblical Languages Lincoln Christian College & Seminary, Lincoln, IL

"Happy in the Psalms"

Gerald Janzen discovered in his study of ashre that it is not the "antithesis to the cry of woe, hoy, 'Ah! Alas!'"5 Neither, Janzen revealed, was it ever used with reference to God. The word is never on God’s lips to refer to man or to Himself. When one “blesses” God or God “blesses” man, barak is used, not ashre. Ashre is used 44 times in the Hebrew Scriptures, 26 times in the Psalms . . .

. . . having looked at all the 26 references to ashre used in the Psalter, I discovered that “happiness” is a by-product of something one does and includes the choices one makes. Psalms 1 and 2, of course, set the tone as one discovers that “happiness” comes by the good choice of not “walk[ing] in the counsel of the wicked or stand[ing] in the way of sinners or sit[ting] in the seat of mockers. But his delight is in the law of the LORD, and on his law he meditates day and night” (Ps 1:1-2). This coincides with the idea of “happiness” being “bliss.” It is a “delight” to meditate on God’s instruction. The “doing” here is the study of God’s Word. Psalm 2 concludes with an ambiguous thought: “Happy [are] all taking refuge in him.” The “him” could be the “Son,” the newly anointed and exalted Son-King, or Yahweh, the King Himself.

(It is unfortunate that the NIV uses “blessed” to translate ashre. It is best to use “blessed” for barak instead of ashre. The English student would not know the difference. Using “happy,” or “blissful,” or perhaps “fortunate” would be best for ashre as it refers to the human being, and particularly God’s people.) A review of the 26 references in Psalms will reveal the source for "happiness" and its logical consequences. . .
I feel better now, and in the future will read it with a different eye.

4 comments:

Paula said...

Well, as you are no doubt aware, I am not a believer; however, I am of a similar mindset on the triteness of "happiness." So many seem to pursue momentary whims, mostly racking up huge debt in the process, for brief moments of "happy," yet they fail to be satisfied overall. I do not consider myself to be happy really, yet, oddly, I am satisfied with my life. I have two wonderful children, a good job, reasonably good health, and a sweet new kitten. Day to day I am stressed, but overall, things are good. If I were a believer, I suppose I would say I was "blessed," though I have failed at romantic love.

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Unknown said...

Much thanx Norma. I so appreciated your findings. Our minister preached on Psalm 1 and said that the initial 'blessed' is best interpreted as 'happy'. I didn't agree as I was thinking of our trite use of the word 'happy'. Your info has been a blessing to me. Thanks for posting it.
together in His harvest,

Unknown said...

Much thanx Norma. I so appreciated your findings. Our minister preached on Psalm 1 and said that the initial 'blessed' is best interpreted as 'happy'. I didn't agree as I was thinking of our trite use of the word 'happy'. Your info has been a blessing to me. Thanks for posting it.
together in His harvest,