Sunday, April 29, 2012

Why college costs keep going up

I didn’t have any college loans to pay off (except to my parents) when I graduated from college in 1961.  And I had that paid off within a year since I was only expected to pay back what I borrowed after I was a “grown up,” married woman, or one semester. For graduate school I had an assistantship.

Federal financial aid is a major source of revenue for colleges and universities, and aid packages are generally based on the gap between what a family can afford to pay to send a student to a given college, and the tuition and fees charged by that college. That gives schools every incentive to keep their tuition unaffordable. Why would they reduce their sticker price to a level more families could afford, when doing so would mean kissing millions of government dollars goodbye?

http://www.jeffjacoby.com/11618/the-government-college-money-pit

 

tuition

And yes, I went to college 50 years ago, but look at the cost increases in the last 20 years. Or go to any campus and look at the plush, lush buildings.
RPAC at Ohio State, Recreation and Physical Activity Center. When I was in college it was called "walk to classes."


1 comment:

nancy g said...

I didn't have any loans to pay off either, 1 BS, 1 MS and 1 MBA. Nor did my sons, 2 BS's and 1 MS. We did have a variety of scholarships and employers that had tuition reimbursement. And no one paid parents back, because the parents footed the bill if it wasn't covered. My advice to parents who ask me how to get your child through college. "Pay for it." You brought them into the world, it's your responsibility to educate them!!