Thursday, April 12, 2012

Top, bottom and middle

--everyone is doing better in this country. The income of households between the 60th and 80th percentiles grew by 40 percent, and those in the 40th to 60th percentile grew by nearly 40%, and of course, these groups are very fluid. I've been in 4 of the 5 percentiles myself and am at the bottom again (retired), same as when I was 21 and graduating from college 5 months pregnant and no job.  But I know that cutting taxes works better for me than raising them, and reducing my spending is the only way for me to have money to invest or to donate to charity. However, I also know a household made up of a married couple  of college educated parents with 2 or 3 children will always do better economically than a single mom with a high school education and 2 or 3 children.  That's just math. That's not even political affiliation or loyalty, or race or age.  If it didn’t work that way why would we have all these grants and loans to send low income people to college, if not to elevate them? 

But there is a party who come November will say Uncle Sam is a good step-father, but it lies.

Myth of the disappearing middle class

No comments: