Wednesday, August 22, 2012

Crinolines and camp

Yesterday at Lakeside (Civil War Week) we had a lecture on Crinolines, corsets and cravats.  During the question and answer period, I discerned that there are some gray haired ladies who don’t remember the crinolines of the 1950s. As they stood up in their shorts and capri pants, they pondered the restrictions.   I’m not sure how long those crinolines of the 1950s were in style—looking at photos of me in 1953, my dresses are hanging straight, but by 1955, I had a hoop with crinolines underneath, and by 1959 the chamise style with a baggy waist and straight skirt was all the rage.  I can even remember playing softball in high school wearing crinolines; we just scooped up our skirts and ran like the devil for first base (I never got much further).  When Priscilla and I went to camp on Lake Geneva in Wisconsin around 1956, we took dresses to wear to dinner, even though we were staying in log cabins.  So I must have taken some crinolines to camp.

 

 

.crinoline1




No comments: