Thursday, November 15, 2012

Thursday Thirteen—what I uncovered in my office

Today we’re having new carpet installed in my home office and the stairs to the upper level and the lower level and the upstairs hall (same pattern).  But everything had to be moved out of the office (not things on the wall shelves).  To move the desk, everything had to be taken out of the drawers and I found a rolling 25 gallon tub for that. To move a 3 shelf unit for photo albums, all had to be moved.  The computer, modem, wifi, phone, etc. had to relocated temporarily. It’s just amazing what turns up in a move—even a move from the office to the dining room.

1.  A birthday letter to me from my mother from 1996.  She died in 2000, and I didn’t pack away that letter, but wasn’t real sure where it was.   Like having her here to tell me about the day of my birth and why my nickname was “Peachy.” 

2.  Lots of homemade cards from my friend Lynne.  We’ve been friends since high school.  I have a scrap book for her cards and poetry, but somehow a little sack of them stayed behind in my desk.

3.  A box of note cards with a Frank Lloyd Wright design, plus lots of miscellaneous cards, many as mementoes from museums and travels, from the days when I did less e-mail and more personal notes.

4.  A little stamp with my name on it from when I was a Slavic language cataloger at the University of Illinois library. I think the main entry card was stamped with the cataloger’s name in case there was a problem.

5.  A set of weights my daughter gave me for Christmas 2 years ago, 3 lb.., 5 lb., 8 lb.  Almost like new.  They were hard to move.

6.  The first issue of George magazine.  I collect first issues of serials, and this one didn’t get into the storage box when I rearranged my collection 2 years ago.

7.  Scissors for crafts.  Zig zag, shaped patterns, etc.  I’m not crafty, so not sure why I bought them. It was probably either a good deal or I had a flash of ambition that dissipated before I got home.

8.  Pennies, twisty ties,paper clips, mystery keys to suitcases I no longer have and rubber bands too brittle to use.

9.  A letter with the last 41 cent postage stamp on it (I’d made a note on the envelope).

10. A photo of my sister and me from 2002 printed from my computer, but I don’t seem to have either a digital copy or print of it.

11. Lots of carefully saved instructions, guarantees, warranties, for digital stuff I almost never use or have replaced.

12. A very nice, never used color coded notebook with 3 x 5 cards. 

13. A faded poem on yellow lined paper from my husband written in 1960 on the anniversary of our first date.  It was probably in the desk because I repacked that box of memorabilia when we moved here, and so it surfaced 11 years later.

If you’d like to play Thursday Thirteen, or read along, you can join in.

10 comments:

Kimberly Menozzi said...

LOL! I do the same thing as you as far as numbers 7 and 12 go. I get a flash of inspiration, and by the time I'm home... Not so much.

Every so often I stumble across little mementos from my father or stepfather (they both passed away in 2009), and it feels like they left it there for me on purpose.

Happy TT!

CountryDew said...

I would love to paint my office, but the idea of moving all of the books, papers, and clutter keeps me from doing it. It would take two days just to clear the room! And then a half day to paint, and two or three more days to put it all back. No, better to wait ...

Colette said...

OMG - This is hilarious! I am going to have to do this for TT some time (you've already given me an idea for something similar for next week!).

Today is my first TT, but I think I'm going to enjoy it!

Colette said...

OMG - This is hilarious! I'm going to have to do this for my TT some day! You've already given me an idea for something similar for next week.

This is my first TT, but I think I'm going to enjoy it!

Colette said...

OMG - This is hilarious! I'll have to do this for a TT someday. You've already given me an idea for something similar for next week.

This is my first TT, but I think I'm going to enjoy it!

J said...

I would LOVE new carpet. I'm worried that our office furniture might not fit through the door...it was assembled in this room. Can you imagine what a pain? Blech. Maybe I'll look into super duper carpet cleaning instead. :)

Love the poem from your husband, and the letter from your mom. My mom passed away in 2008, and I get junk mail for her sometimes. It used to make me cry. Now it just bugs me that they're still selling her address around.

Ron. said...

My whole life is #8.

Over the years, I've written many poems for My Beloved Sandra, commemorating our Date-a-versary. We met 21 yrs ago on the 3rd of July--just before the fireworks, so to speak.

colleen said...

Sounds like a writer's archeological dig.

Serviced Office Solutions said...

Amazing! It's pretty astonishing to find some old useful stuff when de-cluttering as preparation for a space re-do. Hope your new office carpet fits well.

Office Space Solutions said...

Wow! Great finds! Thank you for sharing! The office makeover you did was fantastic.