Tuesday, April 24, 2018

Treadmill for seniors

https://www.verywellfit.com/treadmill-walking-for-seniors-3436652

This routine pretty much describes mine.  I go to Lifetime Fitness 6 times a week and walk 40-50 minutes on the treadmill--walking not running.  The only thing that doesn't match up is holding on the hand grips.  I do walk swinging my arms and was hoping that is good for balance (and the article confirms that), but only for maybe 10 minutes.  So I'll increase that--the article says that holding on can throw off your posture, or even cause some new aches and pains.  Then 3 days a week I do resistance, all on pulley machines.  I love it when I find a site that agrees with me!

The recommended amount of cardiovascular exercise for seniors over age 65 is 30 minutes per day, five days per week. If you can't do all 30 minutes in one session, it is permissible to break up that 30 minutes, but your exercise session should be at least 10 minutes long.
You should also do strength training exercise two to three days each week, with eight to 10 exercises. You can do this exercise on the same days you enjoy treadmill walking, or on alternate days. Try a 20-minute strength training workout for seniors or a dumbbell strength training workout for seniors.

No comments: