Wednesday, March 02, 2005

864 How did you meet your spouse?

SmockMomma of Suma Mamas writes: “we met in january of ’90 in a class entitled “ethics and moral issues” at Texas Tech. i thought he was the spawn of jimmy swaggart because he quoted lots and lots of scripture, and right from the hip, too. he thought i was a wiccan hippy – but aside from my habit of wearing lots of black and espousing very militant pro-choice, pro-gay/lesbian/transgender, rabid feminist, anti-established religion views, i can’t imagine why he thought that. i mean, he was the dingleberry who voted for a democrat, not me. he thought all i needed was a little salvation and i thought he prolly just needed to get a little. there must be something to that “opposites attract” theory cuz fifteen years later here we are, albeit a tad more complacent 'n civilized.”

Bloggers are interviewing each other, and this was one of the questions she was asked--a mother of four with two on the way. The ones I’ve read are tailored to the writer and are not the general “what is your favorite beverage” type question. I thought this one could be a general conversation starter--it works better than “how old are your kids,” even if the person is divorced or widowed. And if she is single and never married, you’ll hear an even better story.

I’m not as funny as SmockMomma, but I can tell you we met at an ROTC function and that on our first date, The St. Pat’s Ball at the University of Illinois, my husband told me he was going to marry me. When I returned to the dorm that night and went to Sally Siddens’ room to return dress, I told her, “You won’t believe the line I heard tonight. And he can dance.”

4 comments:

AJ said...

He told you he was going to marry you the first time out! That man has panache. Apparently, it turned out to be a pretty good line.

Paula said...

Jeff and I met via a personal ad. It was around Valentine's Day of 1987, and I was lonely, having left my first hubby the previous month. My parents had taken me out for dinner, and as I was waiting for the valet I saw a free singles magazine and picked it up. Jeff's ad was in there. It was a rather bland ad, but he didn't mention religion, which was one of my requirements--I didn't want anyone who was even religious enough to mention it at all. So we got together yada yada and months later I told him what my "requirements" had been for replying to an ad, and he said, "Oh, I put I was Jewish. They must have just left it out."

LOL

Twylah said...

Paula, that's stranger than fiction.

Hobbes and I had lockers beside each other in high school (circa 1983).

Susan said...

After the events of 9/11, I decided not to date anymore. I just wanted to make friends and serve God. I joined a Sunday School class for singles. Each Sunday, a music team open class with a couple of praise and worship songs followed by announcements. They announced that they were looking for singers to volunteer. I thought the guy in charge was very loud and obnoxious, but I got my courage up and volunteered anyway.

Tom tells the rest of the story this way:

Susan: "Hi, I'm Susan. I'm a serious musician and I just want to praise God." "If you need anymore singers, I'd like to volunteer."

Tom: "Sure, you can sing with me anytime. You're hot and I don't care if you can sing or not."

Three months later we were married and it was all a "God Thing" because God works in mysterious ways and His ways ARE NOT our ways:)