Friday, March 04, 2005

870 Reading under pressure

Book Club is meeting Monday night, and as usual, it is crunch time and I'm still in the first chapter. The selection is a little odd--we usually read solid non-fiction, biography or genre fiction. This time it is Hugh Hewitt's book, In, But Not Of; a guide to Christian ambition and the desire to influence the world (Thomas Nelson, 2003). First I checked OhioLINK, then OPLIN, and I think there were only one or two copies in the state. Public libraries don't have very good collections of Christian material (considering that their clients are overwhelmingly Christian), but I thought I'd be able to borrow it. So I purchased it, knowing it was "gift book" material and maybe I could pass it along. So far I'm stuck in the preface and not enthusiastic. Of course, "ambition" was never my watchword, even when I was working, so as a retiree the concept doesn't hold a lot of interest. Maybe he has a really fresh take on ambition and influence. Hope so.

I look really sharp today. Mascara. New lipstick shade. Dark blazer. Ambitious. Sometimes it helps to look the part.

No comments: