Monday, May 29, 2006

Monday Memories Honoring our Veterans

For all who have served, thank you for our freedoms. May we honor you by not abandoning them.
Dad and his brother in 1944


"From the Halls of Montezuma
To the shores of Tripoli
We fight our country's battles
In the air on land and sea.
First to fight for right and freedom
And to keep our honor clean;
We are proud to bear the title
Of United States Marines."
The Marine Hymn

"After the Marines participated in the capture and occupation of Mexico City and the Castle of Chapultepec, otherwise known as the "Halls of Montezuma," the words on the Colors were changed to read: "From the Shores of Tripoli to the Halls of Montezuma." Following the close of the Mexican War came the first verse of the Marines' Hymn, written, according to tradition, by a Marine on duty in Mexico. For the sake of euphony, the unknown author transposed the phrases in the motto on the Colors so that the first two lines of the Hymn would read: "From the Halls of Montezuma, to the Shores of Tripoli." "

Victory in Tripoli, our first war with Islamic terrorists in the 18th century.

Who would have thought when Dad and Uncle Russell had this candid shot fighting in the Pacific, that members of our Senate 62 years later would be trying to gut our history, honor and country?

Leave a comment and I'll link back to you.
1. Lazy Daisy 2. Wandi 3. Lifecruiser 4. LadyBugCrossing
5. Amy 6. Craziequeen 7. Doyle 8.Dirty Butter 9. Ocean Lady

Click here for the Monday Memories code

Trackbacks, pings, and comment links are accepted and encouraged!





9 comments:

Lazy Daisy said...

Nice picture of your dad and uncle. My dad was in the military too. What a shame that most of my memories about Memorial day were "that is the first day the public swimming pools opened". My MM is up.

wandi said...

What a great photo of your dad and uncle. My Grandad was in the war. He had a wife at home in Canada with twin girls and a baby on the way. He didn't come back home til his twins(one was my momma) were 4 years old. He never talked much about the war and what he saw over seas. I know it was a hard time for him. I know that it was what drove him to drink. I feel for the veterans. they did sacrifice much for our country and our world.

Anonymous said...

We don't celebrate Memorial Day over here, but that doesn't make me less interested :-)

It's always fascinating to read a little about the past, history is thrilling - if you are interested and the veterans sure is worth all the tribute!

And there is nothing like some old photo to spice up the post with, I love that :-)

Ladybug Crossing said...

Love that picture. My grandpa, dad, and uncle are/were veterans. I certainly appreciate all our soldiers do to protect our country.
LBC

Sparrow said...

I didn't think of doing something like this for today's MM. Wonderful post!

My MM is up, though now I'm wishing I had done something in honor of the day. ;-)

craziequeen said...

Very nice, Norma :-)

Happy Memorial Day - I think..

cq

doyle said...

Memorial Day and Monday Memories combined? Damn ...

When Da Kid graduated from high school, instead of doing what others he'd graduated with were he said he'd prefer going off with me 'cause I'm more fun. (??)

Anyway, we spent the first week in Washington, D.C.; the second crawling Long Island (N.Y.) where I grew up.

I took this pic of the Tomb of Unknowns at Arlington National Cemetery, my son standing next to me. He insisted the next day that we go back again.

A week later on Long Island I showed him where my parents, his grandparents, are buried in Calverton National Cemetery.

He went ballistic, hitting his knees ripping the grass out from around the bronze plates embedded over their graves.

As neatly as it's kept, some of the grass had partly obscured their names.

"THAT'S NOT RIGHT! THAT'S NOT RIGHT! THEIR NAMES SHOULD BE SEEN . . .

"I SHOULD HAVE BROUGHT FLOWERS . . ."

"No babe, no need. You brought something far better.

"You."

Rosemary said...

Thanks for stopping by our Yesterday's Memories blog. I'll be coming back to give your blog a good read, as it looks very interesting. Have a good day!!

Anonymous said...

I'm gonna bookmark your links! Very well put!!! :)