Friday, May 01, 2009

Brand Loyalty

Yes, we are a consumer society--authors published mega-hits writing about how we shouldn't buy so much because it was rotting our souls--all the while, hawking their books on Oprah or Dr. Phil. When unemployment was 4.5 in Ohio, newspapers were still writing sob stories about "this economy" and why we should elect a Democrat. Now it's 9.7 and they are just starting to see how they contributed to the problem. But that's history. We've got the man. So what will you give up now that we're in a recession and you can't whip out the credit card, or you're looking forward not to the next career step up, not the next promotion, but just hoping for the next payday.

Would you be willing to change. . . in no particular order
    Laundry detergent? Yes, and I have, but occasionally purchase my favorite because I love the fragrance.

    From dryer to clothes line? I'd love to have a clothes line, but our city doesn't allow it. It's also good exercise. I use one at Lakeside in the summer. Added advantage of bleaching the hubbie's underwear.

    Dishwasher detergent? Yes, and I have, however, I discovered I was using too much.

    Beauty school hair cut rather than your regular hair dresser or barber? Absolutely not.

    Veterinarian? I've heard people say they'd give up their family doctor before they'd give up their vet. I love our internist, and wouldn't change. The vet's nice, but . . . yeah, I'd change, or use her less frequently.

    No hair color? Hmmm. That's still on the table. My mother looked awful with gray hair, very smart with white hair. I have her coloring (very pale). I may have to wait a few more years for white. Although it would save money. It might depend on Obama and how long he can extend this poor economy.

    Thrift shop, or remainderer rather than a "sale" at a major retailer. Sure, do it all the time. Those items are often newer than what's in my closet since I retired in 2000. Other bargains too. Yesterday I got a fabulous trombone CD for $1.00.

    Library instead of book store? Normally, I'm a heavy library user, or was for many years. I've been using OSU more than UAPL because it's so handy in its temporary location on Ackerman (soon to close). I think I did purchase more books in 2008 than any other year, however. If UAPL manages to fool the public and get this $25 million levy passed, I may just have to boycott it.

    Dollar movie or first run? We see so few movies, that they are almost always at the dollar theater by the time I notice them. Two tickets plus a small bag of pop corn equals the price of one first run ticket.

    Sit down or carry out? I'm not much for carry out except for the occasional pizza. A meal out with friends is entertainment plus a meal.

    Supermarket frozen pizza prepared at home or pizza shop fresh and hot at home? Definitely not the frozen. Like eating cardboard--no savings there if your tastebuds rebel.

    Invite friends for dinner at home or eat out? Either, but serving friends dinner is cheaper than eating out, even at McDonald's and the plus is, you'll probably clean the house.

    Coffee at home or designer coffee at the shop? For me, it has to be "out." I read the newspapers, write in my blog notebook, talk to friends and neighbors, and listen to music--that's a lot for $1.69. Also, I don't make very good coffee.

    Public pool (or tennis) membership for the family or private club? It's been since the early 80s that we had a family membership at the pool, but if you live in a nice town with a good recreation program for which you're being taxed, why would you not do this (ours was within walking/biking distance)? Snob appeal?

    Change banks to avoid high fees? We haven't done that--yet. We've been at Huntington since 1967. I think they are all high, but we don't use a lot of services that could get us into trouble. Same with credit cards. We've never had a fee or interest charge.

    Change churches to avoid stewardship sermons? Our church has "the talk" so seldom, that wouldn't be the issue if change were in our future.

    Use cheaper or free exercise facilities and drop the club membership? Yes, exercising at UALC Lytham is about $1.33 per session which probably doesn't even cover the utilities. We get weights, resistance, stretching and cardiovascular. Walking outside is free, of course, the last I checked.

    Buy house brand frozen vegetables rather than name brand? Yes, but only certain vegetables would I buy frozen--except for corn and peas, most of them taste like mush. Fresh is better.

    Tithe regularly from the top or pitch in occasionally from the bottom as the plate goes by? For us, the tithe (10% of gross) has been the way to go--no problems since we started that about 35 years ago. Then pitch in for the extras like special campaigns, other good causes, diseases, disaster relief, etc. But this works out differently for other families.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Very interesting! There are some things that I am willing to change with no fear at all, but there are other things to which I am immensely loyal.

Anonymous said...

I could give up $540 French sneakers for better looking Keds or Skechers with no pain at all

http://www.nydailynews.com/lifestyle/fashion/2009/05/01/2009-05-01_first_lady_michelle_obama_kicks_in_own_foot_feat_for_fashionistas_lanvin.html

Anonymous said...

Find the best online Designer Coffee Tables India from theurbandecor.com.It has more designs to choose.