Monday, March 08, 2010

Lady Alice apples

I bought three Lady Alice apples Saturday for $1.49/lb. A fruit website describes them: "Lady Alice was discovered as a chance seedling in a Washington orchard so we don't know its parentage. Flavor profile: Sweet - with a hint of tartness. Heirloom crunchy, dense flesh." I had one for breakfast, and it has a very nice flavor and texture. Although I'm a Honey Crisp junky, Lady Alice is wonderful.
    Remember Johnny Appleseed,
    All ye who love the apple;
    He served his kind by word and deed,
    In God's grand greenwood chapel.
    William Henry Venable (1836-1920), Johnny Appleseed
I also made an apple dessert from some apples I've had around for awhile--a Granny Smith, a Fuji, and a Pink Lady. I sliced them, added flour, sugar and cinnamon while they cooked, like a pie filling. Then I made a Jello sugar-free pudding cheesecake flavor filling and put it a graham cracker crust. When the apple filling cooled, I put that on top. I have no idea what this will taste like. It just came to me when I realized I didn't have the right vegetables to make vegetable stock, but there I was in the kitchen, in the mood.

No comments: