Monday, May 09, 2011

A rather odd, quiet Mother's Day

On April 30 I began having back spasms after a little weed pulling at our lake home. I didn't feel much until I sat down on our soft couch and tried to get up. It was the worst I've ever had--like labor pains only in my back. I've never been this old or this heavy, so I suspect that might have something to do with it. But by Tuesday after ice packs, Advil and switching to a heating pad, I was able to get around. By Friday I was able to drive, and we had plans for church with our daughter, and then lunch at our son's home in Canal Winchester. On Saturday I began having some vertigo and thought I might have the flu, but took some Dramamine (for my ears and motion sickness) and cancelled the holiday plans. Because I wasn't going to do anything that required sitting or moving around, my husband headed for the lake to mow the lawn and do general yard clean up because he's heading for Haiti soon and won't be able to get to it. So. . . I spent Mother's Day alone, in a back brace, but with my new and wonderful . . ThermiPaq which my daughter gave me as a Mother's Day gift, beautifully wrapped with a card. You can either put them (she gave me 2, one large, one small) in the freezer for icing an injury, or the microwave for stiffness, cramps or muscle pain. Love it! I think this is a practical gift, and one I'll continue to use.


I did go to exercise class today, but mainly walked for 45 minutes rather than do the weight lifting and crunches. Baby steps, baby steps. Easy does it.

No comments: