Tuesday, July 19, 2011

At the bus stop on Kenny Road

The group waiting at the suburban bus stop on Kenny Road was the picture of American diversity. We don't have very good public transportation in Columbus, so I'm guessing this bus was going somewhere near the OSU campus or downtown. Without my naming gender or ethnicity, I'll just say that some were listening to music nodding their heads (at least you don't need boomboxes anymore), some were talking animatedly with their hands, one was leaning out into the street to see where the bus was, and one was sitting on the ground quietly reading a book--a real book, a print on paper book.

The one reading a book was Asian--don't know if he was Japanese or Chinese or Indonesian or Korean. But I think he is a good example of why Asian immigrants do so well in the United States. There are only 20,000 genes in the human body, and all groups are 99.9% the same in make-up, but there seems to be something about the free market and the mix if genes in Asians that works very effectively. Maybe the ones wanting hand-outs and government control of their lives stayed in the old country, I don't know, but when I look around my neighborhood, there is no shortage of small, family run businesses owned by Asian immigrants.

No comments: