Sunday, July 24, 2011

Magic of Ordinary Days

I watched the Hallmark movie (2005) last night and I thought it was quite good--The magic of ordinary days. The plot is a college woman is pregnant by her soldier boyfriend (a cad, but she doesn't realize it), so her father arranges a marriage for her to a farmer in a remote area of Colorado a super nice guy whom she doesn't at first appreciate) who agrees to be the husband and father. There's a subplot involving Japanese farm workers whom she befriends.

In the end, of course, they fall in love.

But did rural women really wear hats while singing in the church choir in robes (one very brief scene)?

The male lead is Skeet Ulrich, whose real name is Bryan Trout. He's very good, and has appeared on some TV series, most recently Law and Order; Los Angeles.

This was adapted from a book by the same name, which might be worth reading, and there is a sequel in the works according to Wikipedia.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I saw that movie the other night for the first time too and I thought it was absolutely wonderful. So wonderful in fact, that the next day I downloaded the book and read it in one day. There's something to say about the love found in an arranged marriage where the man and woman didn't love each other to begin with but they still found a way to make things work. I was truly touched by this story. Perhaps it was by the husband's unswerving devotion and commitment to his wife and marriage. I hope Hallmark plays it again soon.

Anonymous said...

This was a rerun. I saw it first time around and had my sisters watch it with me. Neither sister ever married and I often wonder if they had lived in days of arranged marriages -they might have had the same good fortune. Love-real love- grows and never goes away..unlike today where many many play at love and hardly any stay in love. My dog lover sister liked the part where he softens to the dog living inside.all in all it was one of the better ones out there...lots of them are not so good...

Anonymous said...

Murray sez:
I always felt that there was 4 basic categories of love.

1. Love for animals and possessions

2.Love for relatives and friends

3. Learned love as in the movie. Brought about through mutual respect and the feelings toward each other.

4. Finally, for lack of a better name, there is what I call true love. This would be when two people meet and instantly know they were meant for each other and it grows throughout their lives. This is a rare happening and unfortunately most people never experience it.

The movie has an example of #3 &
#4. Except #4 was one sided.