Saturday, July 02, 2011

It's a small, small world


Monday morning about 7 a.m. I struck up a conversation with a woman in the coffee shop who was wearing a raincoat--a little unusual for Lakeside. It rains here, but most of us just carry an umbrella or put a newspaper over our head. As it turns out, she was from the San Francisco area and was accustomed to overcast, cool weather because of the bay. It was her first visit to Lakeside, so I showed her the newspaper and how she could sign up for classes and attend programs. She told me her husband was planning to attend the 10:30 lecture, and she described him.

When I got to the lecture I spotted him immediately because he was the tallest man in the room. I introduced myself, and we talked a bit. During the week I'd see the couple and their cousins and we'd wave and say a few words.

Last night he stopped by our seats in Hoover Auditorium (program was Second City Comedy troupe) and asked if we'd attended First Community Church in the late 60s. We'd been members there before we joined Upper Arlington Lutheran, so we said yes. He said that our names sounded familiar to him and he decided we'd known each other from that church, particularly a men's group that met on Wednesday, and we had invited him to our home for dinner when he was going through a divorce. About 40 years ago he moved to California, but had grown up in the Cleveland area and remembered his mother talking about Lakeside, so they decided to visit.

What a small world. We didn't remember him, but I do remember we often invited young batchelors or students for dinner in those days.

No comments: