Wednesday, July 06, 2011

Are Lutherans taller than Methodists?

It's Lutheran Chautauqua Week--and so is next week. It's also the 4th of July week, so Lakeside is bursting at the seams. There were about 700 kids in the parade on Monday. Last night's program at Hoover Auditorium (seats about 3,000) was a group of Kenyan Acrobats. The men performers were athletic, slender and muscled; the women were overweight--extremely. Not like here where many men are overweight.


As I sat in my seat looking up and around waiting for the program to begin it occurred to me I had never seen so many tall people--i.e. well over 6'--in my life. I wondered if they were Lutherans. Descendants of the Scandanavians and Germans who settled around here. It is particularly striking among the women. When I was growing up a 6' woman was relatively unusual, but it is nothing today to see women 6'3 or 6'4. I suppose they marry men their height or taller and pass it on to the next generation. Women my height (5'5") just grow sideways.

Yesterday's afternoon program on Stress and Nutrition by Dr. Wendy Stuhldreher was pretty much what I expected--eat less, move more, and eat all the colors. Eating fish is always recommended, but I was impressed by one chart she showed where mackerel exceeded all others (twice as much as salmon) in what we need in acronyms, EPA and DHA. She recommends drinking milk, something I haven't done in about 50 years. . . either skim (yuk) or 1% (almost yuk). So while I'm blogging this morning I'm sipping a cup of milk.

I left before the Q & A, so maybe she addressed this, but the audience was very lean and healthy looking, even with the average age of about 65. In fact, I've seen so many overweight people here, particularly young people, it's almost like a "not welcome" sign had been posted outside the Green Room. She was definitely preaching to the choir. Doesn't that happen with so many topics that could educate us? People, particularly those on vacation, don't want to hear bad news, whether it's political, religious or dietary.

She recommended we look at the portion control web site, MyPlate.gov

No comments: