Sunday, August 14, 2011

Timeless knowledge and skills

"We can’t predict the future, but we can teach “timeless knowledge and skills that all students must master to succeed in any environment,” writes Kathleen Porter-Magee on Flypaper."

I think I can count them on my 10 fingers. And they all deal with the basic building blocks of everything else I need to know.

1. Reading, writing and spelling. And I think this is a package.

2. Basic math--addition, subtraction, multiplication tables, fractions, decimals. I wish I'd had some basic statistics--it would be much easier to read medical and economic articles.

3. Simple cooking skills. White sauce. Pie crust. Lightly steaming fresh vegetables. Setting a pretty table. How to pick beans or strawberries (from the vine, not the store), and pit cherries.

4. A few basics about physics and chemistry, like hit the nail not your finger, and water that turns to steam can cause a bad burn. Why there are snowflakes and clouds and who created the world.

5. How to use a few research tools like an encyclopedia, dictionary, thesaurus, phone book, table of contents, index, appendix, etc. particularly those concepts that are transferable to the internet and mobile devices. Call me a crazy librarian, but knowing where to find information is useful when you can't remember all of the world of knowledge.

6. Basic hygiene and health tips like don't smoke, eat all the colors, get plenty of exercise and brownies have more calories than carrot sticks.

7. Typing and a few things about basic bookkeeping.

8. First verse of at least 10 hymns and some Bible verses to use in foxholes.

9. Driving a car. I learned that about age 15 and am still doing it. Otherwise you're terribly dependent on others--although I drive less and less as I get older and never did long distances.

10. Basic music reading skills, like maybe 3 years of piano and some time in the band with a trombone.

What would you add? Or subtract?

Notice I haven't added sewing, although I used to find that useful; or gardening, although I did try that and was required to do my share as a child; or team sports (hated that); I actually think learning to swim is very important and the younger the better, but the only time I almost drowned was before I learned to swim so actually knowing how has never been very useful.

2 comments:

Paula said...

I don't find the hymms or music reading useful, but I can see how they would be so to others. I would add basic car maintenance knowledge (maybe in the driving section). Also, I'd add a mandatory logic 101 class for everyone.

italian translation services said...

this is amazing blog and great efforts. excellent!!!!!!