Friday, September 28, 2012

Forty days of prayer

         

‎40 days of prayer (before the election) started today. When I googled this I found a lot of groups--Catholics, evangelicals, Baptists, and various ministries I've never heard of. I think I even saw that Planned Parenthood was doing some sort of prayer thing, which seems really odd. (Please God, send us more helpless babies? The coffers are getting low.) So I was in exercise class at UALC-Lytham, bored (I hate exercise), so I prayed while following the routine. Up with God, 2-3-4/down with debt 2-3-4; heal the nation 3-4/change our hearts 3-4.

Today, our nation faces multiple crises – pending economic collapse, moral disintegration, and international terrorism -- but all have spiritual underpinnings. Together, they are even more daunting than those Americans confronted in 1776, 1863 and 1941.

Now as then, our national survival is at stake.

Now as then, our destiny rests in God's hands. The crises confronting us are beyond the power of human beings to resolve without Divine guidance.

Nothing short of a Third Great Awakening can save us.

And then there was this one in the 40 days before the 2008 Election:

Whomever is elected, we must remember the words that Daniel spoke to a godless king, Belshazzar, many centuries ago. He said: “The Most High God is sovereign over the kingdoms of men and sets over them anyone he wishes.” (Daniel 5:21)

But this one, by Catholic Sistas, actually had a list of what to pray for.

No comments: