Monday, April 01, 2013

Monday Memories—the Senior project

                 High School

When I was in high school we had to write a 25 page report as a senior paper in American history class. I chose to analyze the 1956 presidential election between Dwight D. Eisenhower and Adlai Stevenson, using  the popular news magazines, Time, Newsweek and U.S. News and World Report.  They had run against each other in 1952, so it was a rematch.  I must have talked my mother into subscribing to all of them, because there were no copy machines in 1956, and I think I cut up the magazines for the election articles.  I collected the articles in the summer hoping I'd have that topic approved (it was).

I see that Dr. Deandre Poole got his PhD in 2009 writing on those three magazines' treatment of Obama in the 2008 election (I think we can guess what that was).  Dr. Poole plans to turn his dissertation into a book. Why didn't I think of that? It's not a tough project. Poole is the genius who had his students write the name of Jesus on a piece of paper and then stomp on it. A Mormon student refused and was threatened with suspension. Why the whole class didn't walk out I don't know. Poole, active in the local Democratic Party, has been put on leave from his intercultural communications class at Florida Atlantic University; not for being stupid, but for his safety.  I seriously doubt anyone planned to hurt him, but FAU sure got some heat.

http://www.kjrh.com/dpp/news/national/Florida-Atlantic-University-Jesus-stomping-stirs-outrage-among-Floridians

No comments: